when will we see more?

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM

We are intrigued, when will we see some more information about this tool?

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Hello Scheid,

Can you tell me what do you expect to see more ? You can notice that there was a new release and an update of the "Documentation" part Yesterday.

Best regard,

Arthur

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Don't mean to hijack Schneid's post, but I think the potential usage increases exponentially after we learn how to create custom XML from sharepoint list. Eagerly looking forward to lesson 4 and 5. Also an example with each type would be great too, I think you guys have done a tremendous job and I cannot thank you enough. Trust me, for me  - this was a christmas gift.

Things like - grouping status and another field like category. etc

For instance, the bar chart in your example but limit it to only for Category 1 etc...

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I agree with the last poster.  I am hugely grateful that you have shared this tool with us.  I'm looking for documentation on how to use the Chart from XML web part, it seems very powerful but I can't figure out how to use it.

- schneid

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Its an awesome work, thanks for sharing with all.

Itz working like a charm...

I have a requirement to filter the result based on dynamic parameter. Is there any way to accomplish this.??

-Viji

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hi everyone,

We will update the documentation shortly (next week) and will let you know when it is done in this post.

Filtering with dymanic parameters sounds like a good idea ! Can you explain (with some more detailed samples) what you are trying to achieve so that we can start thinking about a clever way to implement such thing ?

Overall, we are happy to read that you like it, it clearly encourages us to push this project and add some more improvements.

Laurent

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Thanks for your reply Laurent.

I have a dropdownlist and a DVWP which pulls data from a sharepoint list based on the dropdownlist selected value.

In the same way i need to filter the chart based on the dropdownlist selected value. hope this information helps you to workout.

-Viji

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Hi Laurent,

Can I make a multiseries chart?

Sylvio

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Edited Jan 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Just joining this thread to thank you for your efforts in creating this tool. Like the above poster I am looking forward to see more documentation - especially interesting will be to see the list view and webpart configuration you used to create the sample charts on the frontpage. after trying for like 2 hours I was not able to create a grouped bar chart (e.g. customers and their order volume in two different product categories: sample charts 12 & 13 in your chart gallery)

in addition to that I had major headaches because the solution uses the sharepoint internal column names. spaces in column names translate to "_x0020_" which is a serious problem for "normal" users. Hope to see improvements in this department because otherwise it's a great solution. keep up the good work. :)

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Hi,

I have updated the documentation to provide more detailed explanation to use the Chart From XML webpart. You will quickly realize that it is meant to be used by developers (you'll need to know how to generate an XML file from code...). As soon as I have time, I'll write a piece of code that illustrates creation of an XML input from a SharePoint list that would fill in a Chart From XML webpart.

Regarding "_x0020_", I need to have a look... This would explain a lot of things if it appears to work this way ! Clearly, if it is validated, it is a bug...

I'll keep you posted.

Laurent

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Hi,

It's really a gr8! tool for FusionChart, But I want to assing "-XML Content" dynamically from another webpart, I have another webpart that generating XML for this webpart but I am not abale to assign that XML to this webpart, Can any one help me on this. I don't want to use XML Data file for this.

Regards,

Sujeet

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:27 AM
sujeetji wrote:

Hi,

It's really a gr8! tool for FusionChart, But I want to assing "-XML Content" dynamically from another webpart, I have another webpart that generating XML for this webpart but I am not abale to assign that XML to this webpart, Can any one help me on this. I don't want to use XML Data file for this.

Regards,

Sujeet

What type of webpart is generating the XML data?  If you would like to use an XML Fusion Chart without the use of an external xml file, you really would have to either create/modify the source web parts code to point to the chart's "XML Content" field or use a scheduled external script (vbscript/powershell etc) to copy the xml content from the source webpart to the Fusion Chart "XML Content".

I am unaware of a supported method to auto-popultate the "XML Content" field from another web part.

Have you considered linking the source webpart's xml data location straight into the "XML Url" for the chart?  Depending on the webpart and how it's setup, i'm not sure if this is possible.