Average on column action?

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Hi CodePlex Team,

First off all, great tool! Simple for anybody who needs a free tool and don't know much about jquery.

I have a question thou. Are there plans to include the Average to action performed on a column? I know you're not working much on it anymore, but i believe this will be useful to many of us. (btw, column is spelled wrong. "Action to perform over colmuns")

Sincerly,

Christian H.
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I have made that fix and added that feature in the source of the trunk and the SharePoint 2010 branch.
Apr 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM
This is great! Thank you so much. I really apreciate what guys are doing here!
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:23 AM
Thank you for the bug report, by the way.

BTW, wrt AVERAGE, it is averaged only over points that actually have values. I guessed that was the more useful way to interpret it.
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
HI Perry,

Well glad I could help.

Unfortunately here comes the BUT.

I got all excited and told our IT folks that there is a new version available and asked if they could deploy it. No problem there. I got the new version within minutes, but it seems like nothing changed. Average wasn't available and the spelling error was still there.

Is there something we're missing on our end?

I might should mentioned that we're running 2007, but I figured this shouldn't be the issue since you've provide an update for 2007 and 2010.

Please help.
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM
As you can see for yourself in the source history, the fix is in revision 99844

Make sure you are compiling a version at least as recent as that.
Apr 13, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Thats right. Didn't even look at the history. I will let my IT folks know.

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:23 AM
I just released version 2.2.4 to include this functionality in a compiled wsp format, which may help.
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Edited Apr 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Hi again,

First of all Thanks for doing that. This helped deploy the new version quickly. And it seems to work; Average is now available from the drop down.

Unfortunately there seems to be something else wrong with it. I have no idea what, but most of my charts (about 45 out of 50) are not working anymore. and when i try to re-create with the same settings it just gives me the "no data to display" error.

Do you might know what causes this and how to fix it. I really appreciate it.

__* UPDATE: It seem like it has something to do with calculated columns. Is this something easily fixable?__
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM
That's very disappointing. I'll look into it.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I just tried a calculated column and it worked fine. So I think I need an example to reproduce the problem?
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Before Update:

Graph1 did a count on a Calulated Column (Converted a date into txt)
Graph2 did a count on a Text Column
Graph3 did a count on a Choice Column

After Update:

Graph1 - "no data to display"
Graph2 - same results as before
Graph3 - "no data to display"

So yes, you are right. It is not the colculated column, because I got the same result on a regular column. Not sure what it could be thou. I'll ask my IT folks. Maybe its something on our end.
Apr 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM
OK, we narrowed it down and found what seems to be the issue.
Renaming a column might break the chart! It has been tested with the original name and surely it works. I guess we can work around this by changing all names to the original name.

Either way, Thanks for your help!
Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM
If you change the column name, and you used the column name in the web part's configuration, you'll want to update the column name in the web part's configuration. That makes sense, right?
May 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Hi,

No, I know that. This seems to be a deeper problem.

What I meant was, when renaming a column and changing it to the new name under configurations it won’t work all the time. It has to be the columns original name.
I just tested it with a "Name" column. I created a graph and it did a count of items in my list. Now I renamed the column to Full Name and it still did the count without changing the configurations. This tells me it’s not getting the name from the list/column itself.
It works for us, because I know what to watch out for, and if the column is not working at all I just create a calculated one that pulls in the not working columns value.

We know for sure know, that one of it is the "&" within a list item. We had a column and it didn't work. After removing the ampersand it worked.

BTW, Average works great, Thanks for adding that!!

Oh and one more question, I noticed the xml web part has about twice as much chart types available from the drop-down. Are there any plans to include those into the list web part?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM
From what you are describing, it sounds like you need to put in the column's internal name, not its display name. Is that an accurate description?

As you may know, SharePoint columns - or fields, as they are known in the object model -- have three names, an internal name, a static name, and a display name.

For a field with a simple name, that has never been renamed, it is common for all three to be the same.

But when the user renames the field from the web GUI, the display name is the only one changed.

The internal name and static name are usually the same, unless a second field is added with a conflicting static name, in which case a unique internal name is generated for it.
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Correct, that’s exactly what happened, which we weren't aware of in the beginning. But which isn't a problem. We just create calculated columns that pull in the columns value, if we don't remember the original column name.

Again, this is a great tool and improved our overall SharePoint experience a lot! Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Edited Aug 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
That is a fairly clever solution, creating a calculated field with a known name.

Here is an article on finding the internal name of a field: http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2012/10/sharepointfinding-column-display-and.html